Boy Dead From A Common Household Spice

Lauren Freeman

Journalist

The death of Matthew, a four-year-old boy from Richmond, Kentucky has been linked to the strangest of causes. It's assumed that while he was playing at home, he found the spice cabinet. There, he found some cinnamon. Since the spice is known to smell good, he took a big whiff of the powder – before he choked on it and collapsed. Brianna, his mother, found him not long after, but even rushing the kid to the hospital didn't help and the little boy was declared dead 90 minutes later.

“He was completely healthy – no problems,” said Brianna, mother of two. “He started choking. It was like he was having a seizure and just collapsed.” The medical report claims that cinnamon powder entered Matthew's lungs and caused asphyxiation. What makes Brianna worried is the Cinnamon Challenge, which has been spreading on the internet since 2011. It entails swallowing as much ground cinnamon without drinking any liquids.

source

Doctors say that this is dangerous: cinnamon can get stuck in the windpipe and lungs, causing inflammation, which might lead to choking. “Cinnamon can kill,” says Brianna. “All these kids, they don’t think about the fact it can hurt them."

source

“I can’t express how grateful I am for all the amazing support we have right now. And each and every one of you are amazing,” then she posted on Facebook.

source

“Matty man’s story made the Lex 18 news and now CNN wants to share it nationwide. That helps ease my breaking heart just a little to think that just maybe my baby’s story can save even just one child’s life. My Matty was definitely loved by many and he loved everyone. Fly high baby boy we love you more than words could ever explain. And we miss you so much it hurts. R.I.P my sweet little angel.”

Discussion

More Quizzes